Mother’s Day is this weekend and we think we’d all agree that Mom deserves the absolute best, but it’s not always easy deciding what to do for her on her special day. If you haven’t even thought about a gift yet, don’t panic. You still have time.
Luckily, the Beaufort area offers a variety of wonderful options to salute Mom this Mother’s Day weekend.
Here are a few thoughtful gift ideas to help you out. These suggestions are guaranteed to make the leading lady in your life feel special on Mother’s Day. If you do wait until the last minute, we included some gifts that will work for that situation too. Take a few minutes and get shopping.
- CHOCOLATE! “Mama always told me life is like a box of chocolates.” Give her the gift of chocolate, or chocolate covered local strawberries, from The Chocolate Tree. Open from 10am to 6pm on Saturday, 10am to 5pm on Sunday. Call (843) 524-7980 for more info.
- PACK A PICNIC Pack a picnic basket full of wonderful prepared foods & goodies from Lowcountry Produce or Common Ground Coffeehouse, then take Mom to your favorite picnic spot for a special Mother’s Day picnic!
- PICTURE THIS Give mom a portrait session from our friends at Captured Moments Photography. What Mom doesn’t like portraits of her family?
- BUY MOM SOME LOCAL ART Visit some of Beaufort’s fabulous Art Galleries! Beaufort River Glass, Beaufort Art Association, Charles St. Gallery, Indigo Gallery, I. Pinckney Simons Gallery and more.
- MOTHER’S DAY BRUNCH Many of Beaufort’s local restaurants are hosting a Mothers Day Brunch. Panini’s in town and Sweetgrass Restaurant and The Tavern in Royal Pines on the islands all have something special going on for Mom. You know the food will be amazing and a truly indulgent experience!
- WINE MAKES MOM HAPPY. Treat Mom to a trip downtown to Wined It Up. Enjoy some fabulous wines and some fondue together.
- SPA TREATMENTS Spoil her with a Spa treatment from any one of Beaufort’s spas. We have the Beaufort Day Spa, Wellspring Massage Therapies and several others to choose from.
- Aaaah….FLOWERS! Flowers! Can you go wrong with flowers? Here are some places you can get ‘em: Bitty’s Flower Shop, Bi-Lo on Boundary, FarmCity Flowers, and Carolina Floral Design over in Beaufort Town Center
- TAKE HER SHOPPING! Go Shopping on Bay Street! Bay Street offers world class shopping for everyone in the family. Support local business by visiting: It’s Retail Therapy, Bay Street Outfitters, Barefoot Bubba’s, In High Cotton, Joli Home Accents, LuLu Burgess, Rossignol’s, Finders Keepers and more. Each with something unique to offer.
- TREAT HER TO LUNCH OR DINNER Enjoy one of Beaufort’s favorite local restaurants: Emily’s, Blackstone’s, Luther’s Rare & Well Done, Panini’s on the Waterfront, Plum’s, Wren, Yes Thai Indeed and more. Take a look at our Restaurant Guide and pick the perfect spot to treat her to the perfect Lowcountry meal.
- HIT THE BEACH! Take Mom to the Beach! While Hunting Island State Park offers a pristine sandy beach, a natural setting, and the warm Atlantic Ocean…it won’t be open by Mother’s Day unfortunately, but a trip to The Sands in Port Royal for some relaxation may just be the thing mom needs.
- EXPLORE SOME LOCAL HISTORY Visit the Penn Center on St. Helena Island!
Located on St. Helena Island, one of the most beautiful and historically distinct of the South Carolina Sea Islands, Penn Center sits at the heart of Gullah culture on 50 acres of the historical campus of Penn School. Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1974, it is a part of the Penn School Historic District which is comprised of nineteen buildings related to and used by Penn School–Brick Church. Darrah Hall, one of the oldest buildings on St. Helena Island, old burial grounds, Gantt Cottage where Martin Luther King Jr. lodged, a Nature Trail, Chowan Creek, acres of pines as well as native flora and fauna. Visit http://www.penncenter.com for more information.
- GO GOLFING! Beaufort county boasts A LOT of golf courses. Sanctuary at Cat Island, Legends on Parris Island and Lady’s Island Country Club are all fine local courses you’re sure to enjoy 18 holes of Mother’s Day fun.
- BUY HER SOME LOCAL PRODUCE & GOODIES Visit the Port Royal Farmer’s Market. Saturday morning at the Naval Heritage Park in Port Royal you’ll find one of the best markets in the entire area with a large variety of local produce, prepared foods, flowers and plants, tons of homemade products and more. Make a date out of it!
- PICK SOME BERRIES! Pick strawberries at Dempsey Farms. It’s strawberry pickin’ time in the Lowcountry. Take the whole family out to Dempsey Farms and pick your own strawberries on Friday from 10 am – 6 pm or Saturday from 10 am – 4 pm. Call (843) 838-3656 for more information.
- GET CREATIVE! Sign Mom up for a fun night out with Pop Up Paints. It’s a great way to let her creativity shine. Call (843) 379-2787 for more information.
- MOM LOVES TO EXERCISE? Sign Mom up for a Yoga Class at Artizen Yoga. Call (843) 441-5994 for more information.
- COOL OFF WITH A FROZEN TREAT. It’s going to be warm this weekend so we think you should take her out for some frozen yogurt at YoYo’s or some ice cream at Southern Sweets. That’s a REAL treat!
- GO FISH! Take Mom fishing. There are a variety of chartered fishing options right here in Beaufort including A&B Fishing Charters, Sea Wolf Charter, Beaufort Castaway Charters, Bay Street Outfitters, Lowcountry Guide Service, and Fishing Charters of Beaufort.
- KAYAKING Take Mom on a fabulous Kayak Tour and explore beautiful Beaufort by water. Our friends at Beaufort Kayak Tours offer several tours and all the gear you need or you can rent kayaks at Higher Ground Outfitters.
- SHRIMPING & CRABBING Spend a day with Mom shrimping or crabbing! All the nets and traps you need for shrimping or crabbing can be acquired from your local Grayco Hardware Store. You can grab some bait from your local Bi-Lo, Piggly Wiggly or Publix. She will love it! You can even cook her dinner after. And while you’re at Grayco, grab Mom some flowers to plant or a great gift basket of gardening goodies.
- COOK UP SOME LOCAL SEAFOOD What better for lunch or dinner that some good local seafood? Fresh seafood is always available from Sea Eagle Market. Monday thru Saturday 10 am – 6 pm. Call (843) 521-5090 for more information.
- TAKE A TOUR OF BEAUFORT Whether you live here or are just visiting, learn more about Beaufort’s history from the experts. Here some ideas for a variety of local tour options: Janet’s Walking History Tour, Southern Rose Buggy Tours, Sea Island Carriage Company and The Spirit of Old Beaufort are all fabulous.
- COFFEE! Make a date with mom for a latte and a slice of fresh made cheesecake at downtown’s Common Ground Coffeehouse It’s the perfect atmosphere to hang with mom and spend some quality time talking and catching up on life. Common Ground satisfies everyone’s sweet tooth.
- TAKE MOM TO THE DRIVE-IN! Take in a double-feature at the Highway 21 Drive-in Movie Theater. Bring back memories of yesteryear and take in a couple of movies from the comfort of your family wagon. To check to see what movies are playing, call (843) 846-4500 for more information.
Of course, there are more than just 25 ideas for Mother’s Day, but now, all you have to do is pick one to make it memorable.